Thursday, March 09, 2006

Fast Feast (2)

I see two reasons, each of them sufficient, to call it fast food.

Lifestyle: It relates to how quickly food is prepared and consumed. In "fast food" restaurants, benches and chairs are usually uncomfortable. The slow food movement is largely a reaction to this lack of respect for eating. Taking the time to eat properly, to enjoy the food beyond the commodity necessary to survive, is a way of enjoying life.

Health: The nutritive value of the food is poor and it can often be bad for your health because it's fried or fat.

This may seem pretty straightforward or self-evident, but it's often overlooked in the attacks on fast food. I sure don't mean to defend it as most of the time, I prefer to avoid it. But when in a hurry, healthy fast food may do it.

Now, the big question: is Subway "fast food"? I guess so.

5 Comments:

At 5:29 AM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

Over here in Belgium they have Subway-like shops everywhere however they're not Subway, they're Panos or they're one of the thousands of little privately owned 'Sandwich shops'. The Belgians take their sandwiches, filled baguettes and etc ... veryvery seriously ... fast food, perhaps but good food for sure :)

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Mozza said...

The British have Prêt-à-Manger and Benji's. It's a very convenient way to have a quick lunch. I haven't quite figured out why the Americans and Canadians don't have such shops.

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

On the other hand, I haven't been able to find a BBQ Bacon Burger from Burger King since moving to Turkey ... no bacon there, NO Burger King in Belgium, and when I popped over to Germany, the BBq bacon wasn't on the menu ... sigh, it's the only one I ate back in NZ.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Mozza said...

Ahaha! You remind me of my guilt-riddent friend who shared his McDonald's cravings as a confession.

And now that I come to think of a burger with bacon...

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

arghhhhhhhhhhhhh don't talk of a bacon burger ... it will be one of the first things i taste when i finally get home again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home