Saturday, February 25, 2006

I'll be the Last.fm

Following my post on Pandora, Aidje suggested Last.fm as another way of discovering new music (thanks for taking the time, Aidje). It's a website that keeps track, through a plugin, of the songs you play on your computer. The website then makes suggestions of music you should like by creating your own music station based on your music history.

I've tried to install it unsuccessfully. But I don't mind much. I understand that music is a way to socialize, but I avoid social pressure as a way to chose my music. Last.fm post your music statistics on your profile page from where you can link to friends who, I guess, have similar tastes. What Radiohead/U2/Coldplay fan wants to be caught, like me, with Air Supply and Jann Arden in their top ten? But then again, should I be self-counscious when listening to music, thinking "I don't want this to appear on my Last.fm profile?"

So, it's a good concept, but I'll pass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home