Saturday, February 18, 2006

Pandora Boom Box

Ah, the feeling when you want everybody to share your discovery. "Hey, read that book - it just turned me upside down!" or "Go see that film - I almost peed in my pants!"

It never works.

For me at least, it doesn't. I systematically fail to transmit the hype that I feel. People respond politely, move on quickly to the next topic, forget to ask me the name of the author, etc.

So here's my latest eureka, my new favorite radio station: Pandora. It builds a radio station based on a song you suggest, finding similar-sounding songs.

That's exactly what I was looking for: old but new music. When I'm on a hunt for something new, I don't have the patience to go through iTunes and randomly try new stuff based on a genre. I want some kind of guidance, a higher success rate. Pandora's the best radio station to play in the background - the music's always good and sometimes you can make discoveries or be surprised.

There's still room for improvement. Songs are sometimes out of place. But you can give Pandora a better idea of your taste by saying wether or not you like the song that's playing. I wish I could pick the criteria myself: piano, acoustic, orchestral arrangements, whatever. But now I have to guess what song will bring me the type of music I want.

Anyone tempted to try it at least?

12 Comments:

At 5:03 AM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

The link to it doesn't work or ... all your readers are using it.

But I tried :)

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Mozza said...

Ooops. I fixed it. Thanks. And enjoy!

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Misguided said...

Dear Mozza,

i am for sure... I have a question though.

I like many different genres of music.. will pandora lock me in to one genre?

truly,
Misguided

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Mozza said...

Pandora will adapt to whatever song you put in. I have tried with fairly different styles and their suggestions have followed. They have 300,000 songs from 10,000 artists in their library. Let me know how it goes.

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger Misguided said...

Ok... I love Pandora!

This is great...and if you like the song just click it and it'll take you right to itunes

Thanks for the post... this is marvelous.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Mozza said...

I' gladed you liked it. I have some more online tools like this one and plan to blog about them soon.

 
At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I developed a rule with book recommendations. If two people, independent of one another, recommend a book to me, then I read it.

That's been my guiding principle for the past four years, it's worked well.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Mozza said...

Sounds like a neat tip. Hopefully you'll hear about Pandora from another independent source!

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger fake said...

You should check out Last.fm, too. It takes stats of what you listen to on your computer (through a plugin) and generates radio and recommendations from that.

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Mozza said...

Nice, thanks. Although I wasn't too keen on installing yet another micro-app that slows down my dragging ole faithful, I've decided to give it a try. Coming from someone who's been in two bands in two weeks, it can only be a good music recommendation.

 
At 1:12 AM, Blogger fake said...

I've never noticed any slowdown from the L.fm plugin, but I've not done any actual testing. Any chance on giving us your L.fm account name? :-) Mine's plaidjedillama.

I don't know if I would consider a band a week to be a good thing, but it's not exactly regular to have those two numbers be equal. I do take my music seriously, though.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Mozza said...

I now regret that I've never been in a band and realize it's probably too late by now, so enjoy while it lasts.

Speaking of Last, I've decided not to install Last.fm. It's a good way to discover new music, but I rather keep it to myself and not feel that I'm observed as I let my music soul wander through new discoveries. But thanks a lot for the suggestion. I'm glad I know this tool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home