Wednesday, February 22, 2006

(Don't Go Back to) Rockville

I went on a symbolical trip this week-end: I went to Rockville. Every R.E.M. fan knows "(Don't Go Back to) Rockville", one of the rare songs written by the bassist, Mike Mills. It's typical R.E.M.: rock but pop with a catchy chorus. When I noticed "Rockville" on a map and realized it was only a few miles away from my place, I had to go. "What's in Rockville?" - I had to see it for myself.

Well, now it's your turn.


From what I saw, it's a long line of stores and shopping centers. It's a boulevard full of cars and SUVs. It looks like that even on the most sunny and springish day.

It made clear that the reason the US are so rich is overconsumption. It's increasingly oriented towards selling stuff, no matter the price of it. The price seems quite clear in those pictures.

Conclusion: Don't go back to Rockville.

3 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

But thank you ... I might never have known. :)

 
At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the multi-lane highway/street, that's one way to build a strong community. I can't believe people can do this to their towns.

Is there anything actually in Rockville or is it just one enormous drive-thru?

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Mozza said...

I don't quite know. When I saw it on the map, I said "Let's go to Rockville!" but all the way, I was asking "Are we there yet? Is that Rockville?" Then we started seeing those signs, car dealers, etc. with Rockville signs. So we guessed we must be there. And at some point, the question became "Are we still in Rockville? Did we leave it?"

You get the picture.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home