Sunday, February 26, 2006

Straight Shooter (from another angle)

I'm gradually changing my approach to decision-making. I use to look for the best option. I would weight every aspect of a decision twice or thrice before testing my opinion on a decision. It would create long decision-making periods, anxiety and doubt. You should have seen me picking a computer - thank God, I'm limited to a single supplier.

But now, I try to settle more quickly with a choice that satisfies me. I no longer look for "the best", I look for "good enough". I make quicker decision and I'm generally happy with them. I go on with my life and enjoy the choice I made. It means less anxiety and the pleasure that I miss, I'm unaware of it since I don't know all the options. But won't it always be the case anyway?

This article in The Guardian seems to suggest that I'm right.

3 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

I didn't know whether to have a panic attack or laugh ... although perhaps I should view my illegal in-process state as a freedom from choice ... lack of funds equals a huge lack of freedom etc ...

hmmm no, this state makes me sadder than choosing which new laptop I'd buy if I could ...

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Mozza said...

You better make a quick choice: panic or laugh!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

Lol, no ... or perhaps I'll do both.

I think it was Katharine Mansfield (famous NZ writer, a Modernist) who wrote: 'It is because you are free you are lost'.

Hmmm, perhaps I should have just pretended I wasn't sure where that came from ... she might have been quoting someone else.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home