Monday, February 27, 2006

Beating Google at its own game

Google Maps/Local have revolutionized my use of online maps: I started using them. As is often the case, I thought they were perfect until Ask.com improved on them this week. Here's what I needed (almost) without knowing it:

- Walking directions. I don't drive so I don't need to avoid one-way streets.

- Clicking to add locations.You know you're going at the corner of Smith and Johnson. Just click on it, no need to find a complete address.

- Multiple destinations. This way, you can ask how to get to the White House through Halliburton for instance.

Also, their aerial pictures seem slightly better than those of Google. That's it - I switch. More details here.

For the record (and make sure you're disappointed too with the state of the technology), here's what I would like to see:

- If I don't mention a different destination city, take for granted that it's in my departure city. I use online maps to find directions within the same city 98% of the time.

- Control over what information is displayed: name of cities, civic numbers, street names, etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home