Thursday, March 02, 2006

Gay as a picnic basket

I pointed a few weeks ago at Brokeback Mountain spoof videos. Now, the New York Times is running a story about them. It feels a bit like the journalist tried to give them a larger meaning to justify his article.

Which brings me on the delicate topic of homosexuality.

I don't understand why gay men are seen as "girlie". I think it could have gone the other way, as a matter of perception. After all, gay men want no business with women, "those sentimental and fragile persons". They just care about real men. Gay men might as well have been perceived as more manly than straight guys.

Gay people are just as diverse as straight people. Some are delicate, some are tough. How did straight people cast gay men as girlie? It sounds like a difficult spin to me, but it mostly succeeded.

All of this to say that homosexuality has a lot to do with perceptions and social spins. Personally, I don't even know why we care so much about other people's sexuality. Why is it that some don't want people to be gay in the first place?

Once, an a colleague told me: "If you allow homosexuality, everybody will be gay". Can you imagine a better coming out?

4 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

A gay friend once told me that everyone is on a continuum with regard to sexuality ... that everyone is potentially gay.

I don't know about that but I have always wondered about this fascination people have with the private sex lives of others ... live and let live makes more sense to me.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Mozza said...

Kingsley invented a scale, from straight to gay, with 6 levels. It made quite a fuss. See the movie with Liam Neeson.

I believe that it would be much easier for people to talk about friendship if homosexuality wasn't a taboo.

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Misguided said...

"If you allow homosexuality, everybody will be gay"

I have heard that phrase before. Odd.. isn't it. That just make any sense to me. I dunno. I think girls are hot, and I think a dude.. no matter what he dresses up in, is still a dude.

I don't know about sexuality being on a continuum. But what happens in people's bedrooms is their business and not mine.

Mozza: did you get the file I sent you.

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Mozza said...

What fascinates me is the obsession religion has with sexuality. What cracks me up is Christinaty's ban of masturbation. Especially coming from single priests... Come on.

Yes, I just got the file. Thanks a lot!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home