Tuesday, January 09, 2007

iPhone iFun

I'm a self-confessed Mac fan and user, although not an evangelist. But I stick with them and even ended up buying a MacBook Pro despite my early criticism.

To me, the unveiling of the iPhone today was an historical event. I'm with Steve Jobs who draws a line from 1984 (Mac) to 2001 (iPod) to today (iPhone). This thing looks like the real thing. Apple gets the right thing right: the ease of use. No matter the functionalities, if they're not accessible, they might as well not exist. Last month, Microsoft has turned Office upside down with their new ribbons - not to add functionalities, but to make the existing ones accessible.

Sometimes I think Apple and Steve Jobs must be amazed at the lack of competition. Once they release a product, the flaws of the competition appear so obvious. Actually, for me it's more that I don't even dream of getting rid of the annoyances such as incredibly clumsy web surfing on smart phones. But Apple does.

  • To me, the most attractive feature is the portable Google Maps. I have the sense of orientation of a rock and this means liberty.
  • The multi-touch is the biggest technological breakthrough. It will be commonplace in a few years. You've seen it first on the iPod (after the Jeff Han presentation!).
  • I'm slightly disappointed with the drive size (4 to 8 Gb) but it will soon increase as the flash technology improves.
  • I'm surprised that Steve Jobs didn't demonstrate the camera. I guess it didn't work too well for now.
  • By the way, how did they get a functioning unit 5 months ahead of release?!
  • No word on the processor to drive this mini OS X?
  • Wireless: does it mean I could install Skype and call for free?
I can hardly see myself getting one because I don't like to talk on the phone, and certainly not geting hooked in a 2-year contract. But don't get anywhere near me if you have one.

People dismissed the iPod when it was introduced. Have a good laugh when people will dismiss the iPhone until it is officially introduced.

3 Comments:

At 9:57 PM, Blogger ruff nurse-du-jour said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger ruff nurse-du-jour said...

thanks mozza.

hopefully i will have the opportunity of accidentally dialing your number during one of my shifts and then i'll share my heart out with you.

happy new year to you too.

(btw, ive bought an ipod video as my personal gift after ive received my 1st-month salary. i couldn't wait to have an iphone when it was rumoured that it will be released in asia in 2008. gosh, can't wait that long... but i'll definitely try)

=)

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Francis said...

Be patient, ruff, iPhone deals will soon be announced in every country!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home