Saturday, August 06, 2005

Serendipity has never let me down

This is a love story gone right. There aren't that many out there, so read on.

The situation was shaky at best in New York. No job for me, an internship for her. Then came the DC offer: great job, my domain, well-paid. We had a very difficult discussion about it and came to the conclusion that I should take the job. And we'd get into one of these long-distance relationship.

On the very day that we made that decision, she sent an application to a Washington DC organisation. Get this: 15 minutes later, they called her to say they were interested. One thing though: as a test, she'd have to translate a short text from English into French. Did I mention that she's a native speaker in French, English and Italian? So it was a piece of cake and a few days later, she received a formal offer. On that very day, again, she's been told that her contract in NY would be shorten by a month and finish at the end of August. It means we'll arrive in DC at the exact same time, both with a place to work. Hallelujah.

We're now looking for a 1-bedroom in NW Washington DC for September. Anything to suggest? Speaking of suggestions, if anyone has an idea of how a European national could find a job in DC that would provide her with a pay and a US work permit, I'm all ears.

Still, this adventure left me with nagging doubts. Will I always have to struggle to coordinate my career and love life? Is this the fate of all international workers? Will I ever settle down? Where?

2 Comments:

At 5:27 AM, Blogger ruff nurse-du-jour said...

Oh my god. With a perfect opportunity like that, what else could possibly go wrong?! I guess its now safe to say that you, my friend, have it all.

I was drawn by your introduction that love stories gone right are very seldom to find. When I started reading your entry, my heart was filled with so much love and optimism, and genuine happiness for you and your loved one. Kindly extend my regards to her, and I hope you will remember that I’ll always be praying for your happiness.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Mozza said...

Thanks for your encouragements. We're actually entering a period both thrilling and scaring. What if living together doesn't work? What if we can't adapt to the daily life with each other? Being conscious of these possible difficulties will, I hope, help us to avoid them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home