Thursday, July 07, 2005

My London was bombed today

I had the best year of my life in London. It was the first time that I lived abroad and I had my fears. But never the thought of terrorism crossed my mind. That's why I'm so struck by today's bombings.

Yes, yes, it was predictable - especially after the fact. But I went to London three times since September 2004 and I'll go again in August, and it never ever crossed my mind that I could be in danger. Had I have an invitation for this week (and the cash and the time) I would have accepted without any afterthought.


When in London, I lived at Goodenough College on this map (bottom center). Between Russel Square (bottom left) and King's Cross (top left), and close to Tavistock (center left). Tavistock was on my way to Regent's Park, where I played ultimate frisbee and walked around. I took this bus ride to go to Hampstead Heat. Russel Square, my departure point for tube rides and the place where I would welcome my visitors. King's Cross, where I would take the tube to work or for the airport. I was there two months ago. My friends were there today, I guess. Of course there's been crazy emailing today to make sure everone's okay. So far, so good, but everybody hasn't responded yet.

But the point is: I'm still looking forward to going in August. And I'll get off the metro at the same station as usual: Russel Square. I just won't give in. And I'm moving to New York in September. It's not about me, courage or lack of basic prudence. It's about standing straight.

1 Comments:

At 4:19 PM, Blogger Merujo said...

I saw your comment on Nickerblog today. I was really shaken up when the news was clarified for me -- that the bus bombing was directly at Tavistock Square. I was a student at the LSE, living at Passfield Hall, right on Tavistock.

I feel the way you do. It was My London. It feels very personal, doesn't it? I hope you enjoy your trek back to London. It's one of the finest places on the whole planet. And I hope today is not a harbinger of things to come.

Best,

Merujo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home