Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The front page issue that you never noticed

Did you know that the presentation of your newspaper provides jobs, heated debates, heros and villains, and awards? As I can spend half an hour pondering over a 1 mm space, the kerning of a letter or else, I wasn't that surprised.

As I'm doing a little graphic design on the side, I got to search newspaper front pages and discovered two amazing resources. First, there's Today's Front Pages from News Musem. All the front pages from today. Some might find it interesting to see what's news around the world - and I do - but what I find most interesting is how newspapers look. I've been surprised at the unity between them. Is it a question of fashion or mergers? Hope it's note the latter.

The second resources is the Best Newspaper Design from the Society of News Design (they have a society!). The Guardian, from the UK, well deserves its price. I like Rzeczpospolita
too, but I find it just "very good", not "awesome" like The Guardian.

I got to go back to my fake newspaper and to fine tune the product by looking at real front pages and try to catch the details that differentiate a real newspaper from an amateur one. So far, I haven't quite arrived...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home