Thursday, May 04, 2006

Talk like an Egyptian

I picked the nickname "Mozza" some 10 years ago, the first time I ever chatted on the Internet. I front of the computer, I was told to come up with a nickname. I turned to my friend eating mozzarella and I wrote "mozza". Ever since, I've been happy with this name, gender neutral, anonymous, easy to pronounce in most languages, catchy, often available for registration, etc. A stroke of luck.

Recently, I got a lot of traffic from Egypt - well, a lot by this blog's standards. I was puzzled. It appeared that these visitors were looking for "mozza" on blog searches. I was even more puzzled. Did my post on hybrid cars have such an effet there? I decided to search for a "mozza" myself.

It turns out that there's an Egyptian Mozza. And that mozza means "hottie" in Arabic. Not so gender neutral after all. Wait, it gets better: this liberated Egyptian woman is posting salacious stories about her liberated life. Well, liberated by Egyptian standards. Don't bother looking for those stories though: the best stuff seems to be in Arabic.

So to all my Egyptian visitors: welcome. Unfortunately, I'm no liberated Egyptian woman, so please follow the link above if that's what you're looking for. In the meantime, I'll keep my nickname - which I also share with the singer Morrissey apparently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home