Friday, November 04, 2005

The left should not oppose free trade

I was also at the Quebec Summit of the Americas in 2001. The funny thing is that I was on the outside of the barriers, with protesters facing a rather aggressive police. I think if I were to go back today, I would work with the independant media again as I still strongly believe in free speech. A lot of information on police violence has emerged from this independent coverage before making it to the mainstream.

But on the issue, I've changed. I now understand why countries share their sovereignty and I think it's a good thing. I see why we would like to create economic growth, wealth that could be redistributed. I see tht where there are losers of new trade rules, there are also winners - and that winners can be those who need it the most.

I think the left who opposes free trade makes a mistake that could tarnish its reputation in the future. Under many circumstances, the left has been on the good side of the battles: equality for women, end of racial segregation, social welfare to name just a few. The left has won history so far, but it's also been wrong and it will be the case again if it keeps on opposing free trade.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home