Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Think Common

Ok, I was wrong to think that Apple would not change its strategy since the return of Steve Jobs. But at least, I wasn't the only one surprised.

NYT: Apple Changes Course With Low-Priced Mac

That's both good and bad news. In general, I like the new computer and I have nothing to say about the specs (although I know some complained about the lack of Blootooth built-in capacity).

But it's a bit of bad news because the company has now losed part of its focused regained under Steve Jobs II. He then killed not only the clones, but many Apple computers in order to simplify the product line and make choice easier for customers. This is gone. He then advocated that computers clugged with cables were evil. This Mac Mini looks like an octopus once plugged to its peripherals. He said that Apple wasn't in the cheap computers business, that he was in the market for buyers who are willing to pay a premium for quality. No more.

Because of this, I feel that Apple has become less exceptional and so less interesting. There's less to be said about Apple strategies in my opinion - or at least it's the beginning of this decline. What to say about a computer company that sells a lot of the same products as the others? Not quite the case right now, but we might be getting there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home